Saturday, July 30, 2011

Harry Potter and the deathly hallows Part 2

I've said it before but I don't think there's anyway that anybody who hasn't read the books would have more than the most basic idea of what's going on while watching these films. Particularly the last couple. This isn't really a problem since a billion people have read the series, but it makes it sort of pointless to review the films in a vacuum. In that sense there's not much to say. The film does a nice job hitting the required beats and, for people familiar with all the backstory, there are some undoubtedly affecting scenes. My biggest issue is that the whole thing felt a little rushed which considering they broke the final book into two parts is a little ridiculous. Maybe a little less wandering around the woods and whining in part 1 would have been okay? Also the way they changed the final battle didn't really make any sense, and didn't really seem to save any time. I don't think it killed anything, it was just an odd choice.

So now that the series is done so I have any closing thoughts? Good question Eric, you are quite the adroit interviewer. I guess I found them entertaining and about as reasonably well executed as you could hope for given the time constraints of a feature. Since I'm not a bug wuss I didn't feel like a part of my childhood ended or anything like I'm hearing from who I'm sure are a bunch of 20 something coldplay fans (now if you asked me about the ending of the Sweet Valley High series of TV movies I might say something different). I also don't have any real desire to go back and revisit the series any time soon. But I said that about the Madea series too and now I can't get enough of them. What can I say, people in fat suits speak to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment