Sunday, March 11, 2012

Friends with kids

To get the relevant plot description read this. And really, that review also sums up how I feel about the film. It has a strong cast, with some nice moments of observation, but its depiction of marriage and kids is in some ways as cliched as something you'd see in an Adam Sandler film. Don't get me wrong I'm not exactly Mr. 'Kid's are all roses and sunshine' but I have many friends who are starting to, or already have had, kids and none of their lives are as completely ruined or chaotic as the couples portrayed in this film. Its almost cartoony at times, which is too bad because it does have elements that do recommend it. If it had been able to keep away from the shrill character dynamics, and genre required plot machinations, I think there could have really been something interesting here about being single in your late 30's. What we're left with is a well-acted, occasionally insightful, but generally problematic comedy. Which is still more than I can say about The Vow (I just assume, I never saw it. As far as you know).

No comments:

Post a Comment