Thursday, March 14, 2013

OZ the great and powerful/side effects

Oz the great and powerful

I don't really have much to say about this.  A friend wanted to see it, we went, time passed, and it was over. Its ultimately an inert, somewhat pointless film, but has just enough decent execution not to be completely boring (which I'll wholly attribute to director Sam Riami).  The 3-d is about a 5 on the obnoxious scale, and don't think too hard about how it fits into the Wizard of Oz universe because the logic really breaks down.  Really the most interesting part about the film is to see how much referencing of the original film it could get away with without having to pay Warner Brothers (who owns the rights to the Wizard of Oz) any royalties.  The answer is more than I thought.

Side effects

Since this was a Soderbergh film I was inevitable going to see it.  Its well-made and entertaining, its not anywhere near my favorite of his works.  I think the problem is that its a little bit too clever and clinical, lacking the energy of his best films (i.e. Out of Sight or Magic Mike).  Basically even though its well executed and impressively slips between multiple genres, I never quite got engaged on more than an intellectual 'lets see what happens narratively' level.  Its definitely worth seeing, but I think it'll ultimately be viewed as a minor work (by Soderbergh (or your mom's) standards).


No comments:

Post a Comment