Sunday, July 21, 2013

Pacific Rim

Pacific Rim has ended up being more divisive than I would have expected. As an example check out Will Leitch  (positive), and Vince Mancini's (negative) reviews. While I think all the criticism is completely fair (the characters are generously described as thin, the dialogue is marginal, and story derivative), I still ended up generally enjoying myself. This movie is all surface, but that surface is Monsters vs. Robots as done by the guy who made Pan's Labyrinth, and starring Idris Elba (Stringer lives!), so the surface goes a long way.  Del Toro does a real nice job with fights scenes (you can follow what's going on, and they actually involve some deliberate pacing) which counts for quite a bit. Sure I would have preferred to have there be actual acting outside of Elba (and to a lesser extent Charlie Day and Ron Pearlman), but I'll take what I can get.  And in this case what you get involves a scene of a Robot hitting Godzilla with a tanker ship. That's not nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Good review Eric. Had a fun time with this one, even if I was a bit disappointed by how lame the characters were.

    ReplyDelete