Friday, April 18, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Its getting to the point where I can pretty much write the same review for 90% of these Marvel films. Basically I, for the most part, enjoy the viewing experience but most of them have the same two big issues.

1) Ever since The Avengers, whenever one of the stand alone characters has to deal with a major crisis you immediately wonder why they don't at least place a phone call to some of their super cohort. Iron Man III sort of got around this by barely acknowledging the wider universe, but since Captain America's conflict deals directly with the potential dissolution of S.H.I.E.L.D. it makes no sense that the other avengers wouldn't at least send an inquisitive text. I guarantee Hawkeye didn't have anything else going on.

2) My favorite part of the film is still just hanging out with the characters as they bounce off of one another and just go about their business. The big action set pieces, especially the end, just distract from this aspect (not to mention make me acutely aware of point #1), and end up being a little boring. I'd almost prefer it if the budget were cut and they made the conflicts a little more individualized. It'll never happen, but it would be nice. I guess what I'd really like is for Joss Whedon to make a TV show, with the Game of Thrones budget, to explore the world more deeply (this is part of the reason I'm so annoyed that agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. isn't better).

Still, the fact that Marvel's achieved that hard part and made me enjoy being around the characters more that the action can't be sniffed at. I just hope that some of the future entries move beyond the current format and try something new (even if that means scaling down a bit).

No comments:

Post a Comment