Sunday, February 22, 2009

Walk The Line/Walk Hard

I caught the beginning of walk the line while I was working and I realized how the film is pretty much unwatchable after having seen Walk Hard. For those of you that haven't seen it (and shame on you) Walk Hard follows fictional musician Dewy Cox as he finds success, failure, love, a monkey, hell on earth and ultimately redemption. The film mercilessly parodies biopics in general, but really nails Walk the Line in particular (partially because it follows that film's broad plot outlines). I just couldn't watch Walk the Line without having bits of Walk Hard playing in my head:

"The Wrong Kid Died/The Wrong kid Died"
"You don't want any of this shit"
"Machete Fight"
"This is a dark FUCKING period!"

Dewy: She lost her balance... and fell out the window... and then the radio crushed her head?
Pa Cox: While she was dancing to your song. I thought you should know what your music does. It kills people. You made her happy, and it killed her. If Nate was alive this never would of happened.
[as he's leaving]
Pa Cox: Wrong kid died!

Eddie Vedder: If Elvis and Buddy Holly are the Cain and Abel of rock and roll, Bruce Springsteen is Zachariah, Iggy Pop is Methuselah, and, of course, Neil Young is the wise prophet Ezekiel, then what does that make Dewey Cox?

"Prison has changed me. I understand the common man the way I never did before. I gotta get out of here! So I can bring joy to the men back in here, but I don't wanna live with them! "

Really I defy anyone to watch Walk Hard and be able to take any bit of Walk the line seriously ever again. I almost feel like we should take back the Oscars it won and give them to Walk Hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment