Saturday, January 2, 2010

Top 10 of 2009

Since everybody else is writing a list I've felt left out and want to get in on the action. Any film I watched in 2009 is eligible for inclusion (regardless of actual release year). This works to my advantage in several ways:

1) Even though I've picked up my viewing as of late there are still a significant number of 'prestige' films I haven't seen yet, and I may not get to in a reasonable amount of time
2) I started this blog in January (and have been averaging literally ones of readers since then) so I feel like a calendar year has a nice symmetry to it (yes I am captain obvious, but I needed a second reason)
3) While going over everything I watched this year I realized I'm way off my pace from when I was an undergrad and saw everything even though I had no money, meaning this list is in no ways definitive. I'm getting old. (I realize this isn't really a reason for linking the list to my year of viewing rather than release date, I just wanted to say it)


Anyway here it is, in no particular order (actually its approximately chronological, but who's counting), and as always I'm too lazy to link to the original reviews:

The Wrestler - cut out the daughter character and this suddenly becomes one of the great sports films of all time

Coroline - nice sense of humor, with some enjoyably dark elements

Adventureland - A nice low key coming of age film that manages to avoid most of the cliches that similar films engage in

Crank 2: High Voltage - Arguably the best comedy of the year. I really considered putting something like Moon, or even Star Trek, here (both of which I really enjoyed), but I'm more likely to rewatch this one in the near future which has to count for something. Yes the plot was non existent, but since this was essentially a live action looney toon it didn't matter.

The Hurt Locker - Its definitely good, but its getting so much critical love that its beginning to approach over-rated status. Check it out, but keep expectations in check

Inglorious Basterds - A bit too long, but the opening scene alone gets it on the list

District 9 - Besides all the other praise you've heard, the film's sense of humor really puts it over the top

An Education - Like I said before - all you twilight fans who love stories about old men hitting on high school girls, why don't you watch one that's actually well made and has something interesting to say?

Avatar - Simplistic plot, clunky dialogue, and not very interesting characters - but the fact that the visuals kept me from caring much about any of that means that it belongs here

Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans: I enjoyed this so much that its fitting that its the only film on the list I paid to see twice (closing out the year on New Years eve no less). I was really afraid that it's demented sensibility wouldn't hold up on a second viewing, but thankfully that was assuredly not the case. It may not be the best made film, but its the one I had to most fun with and look forward to revisiting again. 'To The Break of Dawn' indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment