Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Easy A

After another ten hour day writing about deferred taxes and seeing presentations about the variance decomposition of stock returns, I decided to burn an hour and a half, and Easy A happened to be starting in 10 minutes. Of course being a Wednesday night (and the film has been out for a few months) I was the only one in the theater. Now even though it has been very well reviewed, I won't deny that it felt a little odd sitting alone watching what was ostensibly a teen comedy. Though a lot of the discomfort might have come from the fact that my pants were off. What do you want me to say, it was no pants wednesday. Hate the game not the playa.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier the critical reception for the film has been generally positive and I'd say that overall I agree. The supporting cast is absolutely loaded (Stanley Tucci, Patricia Clarkson, Malcolm McDowell, Thomas Haden Church, Lisa Kudrow, Fred Armenson) and Emma Stone gives a really enjoyable performance as the lead character. The film also manages to play with the familiar tropes of the genre and maintain a suitably irreverent tone as it went through a story that could have very easily been an incredibly conventional comedy starring the cast of Gossip Girl. This isn't to say everything's perfect. The character played by Amanda Bynes is too much of a caricature, and the film stumbles a bit as it approaches its resolution and has to play things more conventional. Still, overall its enjoyable and the performances carry it a long way. Now I have to go find my pants. That's what She Said. There's no Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment