Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Wes Anderson is one of those guys whose work I generally enjoy. I get that his style could be annoying (and has been endlessly parodied) but for whatever reason his blend of whimsy and idiosyncratic behavior always manages to at least make me smile. Granted they're not necessarily the most substantial films (though I would argue that Rushmore and Life Aquatic, in particular, have some real depth and melancholy) but they're usually entertaining, and exhibit a unique voice.

Fantastic Mr. Fox comes off just like you'd expect a stop-motion animated film from Anderson to play. It has colorful characters (in this case anthropomorphic animals who wear formal attire), an oddball sense of humor, and some generally low-key sentimentality. The story is actually pretty slight, and the life lesson at the end feels forced, but in general the film is a light enjoyable ride with some moments of real inspiration.

Note: My favorite bits of the film are when they have the animals suddenly act like, well, animals. For instance interrupting an extended monologue to suddenly tear into food. It reminded me of one of my favorite Family Guy bits - when Brian the Dog remembers to act like a dog (ie. starts barking at a vacuum cleaner) which...never mind. I found it funny. I'm also apparently twelve.

No comments:

Post a Comment