Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows

I generally enjoyed the first Sherlock Holmes film, but this one just kind of left me feeling blase. It had all the elements that made its predecessor enjoyable, but just in greater quantities and amped up to 11. Here's an example of what I mean. At one point we learn that Holmes is afraid to ride a horse. Smash cut to next scene of everyone riding a regular horse, followed by Holmes on what can best be described as Li'l Sebastian . So okay that's moderately amusing once, but its repeated about four more times in a row, and the returns diminish quickly. This is the main problem with the rest of the film as I eventually just got tired of watching bullet time sequence after sequence, and wondering what just happened. By the time we got to the ending denouement, I had stopped caring much at all.

Just so this isn't a complete rip job, I will say I still generally enjoyed Downey's portrayal, and could still some potential for future films of the series. Its not as much of a step down as the Pirates of the Carribean sequels were, but its still a step down all the same.

Bonus: Exit Through the Gift Shop

I finally caught up with this documentary from 2010, and I really enjoyed it. Its an interesting look at street art, and also functions as an almost satirical look at the art world in general. Its well worth checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment