Monday, January 23, 2012

Tintin, and the 'Best of 2011'

Tintin is watchable if forgettable. But it did lead me to realize just what a string of mediocre films I saw this year. Really even the stuff I liked didn't really blow me away, and the film that stuck with me the most (Tree of Life) may have just been a bunch of pretentious nonsense I still can't decide. With all that said here's the 'best' of 2011 in no particular order. As always this is just based on films I saw during the calendar year not when they were released. As a result The Artist didn't have a chance not to end up on it.

Take Shelter
Midnight in Paris - I'm a Woody Allen sucker what can I say
Another Earth
Moneyball
Drive
Your Highness - This is more of a screw you to everyone who crapped on this film. Its obviously not a great work of art but it made me laugh...a lot.
Tree of Life - Like I said earlier, it may not be good, and I still can't decide if its amazing or ponderous, but it definitely caused me to think more than any other film this year so that has to count for something.


And just for the heck of it, here's the other films I saw this year that I liked enough that I might actually consider watching them again, at least as TNT saturday afternoon viewing if Ace of Cakes isn't on:

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows Parts 1&2
Drive Angry
Fast Five
Thor
Captain America
Warrior
The Muppets
X-Men first class
The Lincoln Lawyer

And just because here's the return of Wooderson.

No comments:

Post a Comment