Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Young Adult

Alright I've decided to stop even bothering to do a plot recap in these things (unless of course there's something I want to mock). I'll just include a link to the AV club review and then write my drivel.

This film really hasn't been that well received, and I sort of get why. The mechanics are a little clunky, and the characters aren't particularly likable, but I think it might be a satire, and if so, then it might be kind of genius. Basically the film follows a borderline insane alcoholic (Charlize Theron) who leaves the big city (Minneapolis) to go back to the small town where she grew up and try to get her ex-boyfriend back. In any other film of this type she would go through some not-too damaging hijinks, before having an emotional epiphany, learning an important life lesson, and inevitably deciding to stay in the small town with all the real people. This film doesn't do this. Everyone around her treats her behavior in an appropriately disturbed manner, and just when she's about to learn the lesson and make a decision to change her life, the film pulls her back and she decides to go back the the big city and stay just as self deluded as she was before. So like I said, if this was intended as a genre send-up then its kind of interesting. However the fact that I'm not completely sure that was the intention does point to some execution problems, so maybe I have no point.

And Patton Oswalt is really good in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment