Wednesday, August 5, 2009

500 Days of Summer

Allow me to open with a little rant that is only sort of directed at this film (note: the following paragraphs may involve a little stronger language than we usually engage in here at What I'm Watching. I would like to claim its for artistic purposes, but it really has more to do with the fact that somebody a few rows behind refused to silence their super vibrating phone for the entire run time of the film and I'm still annoyed. Its was like a freaking wasp buzzing for two hours - not good times). Anyway there are a few trends evident in most romantic comedies (particularly independent ones) that are really starting to get on my nerves. First when did male protagonists in all these films become, for lack of a better term, whiny little bitches? Its seems like every other film these days features some emo sissy boy who falls madly in love with an annoyingly unique woman that can't be caged and ends up dumping him at some point. This sends whiny into an emotional tailspin that he can only apparently cope with by getting plastered, laying around his apartment for weeks, grow previously unseen facial hair, and generally acting like he's just experienced 9/11, the sinking of the titanic, and involuntary castration all at once. I mean seriously- man up. I know being the heartless bastard that I am that I can't fully appreciate what it feels like to be emotionally broken, but come on. I refuse to believe that you can't continue to function like a relatively normal human being while dealing with emotional issues (I find heroin to be particularly helpful). I don't think these guys should be all John Wayne and go out and plow the next thing that looks at them, but I'd like to see a little self respect. This leads me into my next complaint which that our protaganists are always a creative butterfly trapped in a soul crushing job (which generally requires the wearing of a tie) for no apparent reason, but its takes getting their heart ripped out for them to get their shit together and go do something they don't actually hate with their entire being (like being, I don't know, a puppy salesman that markets exclusively to paraplegics). Hey Hollywood how's this for an original idea? Guy realizes that he needs to so something else with his life and mixes in a few night classes without having to have his balls ripped off by some borderline sociopathic indie-rock listening she-devil. You think that might work doctor? Anyway the last issue I feel like mentioning has already been covered by The Onion AV Club so I'll just send you over there to read about Manic Pixie Dream Girls.

All that aside I actually found 500 days of summer to be fairly watchable. Oh it has all of the elements that I mentioned above, but manages to keep them at (mostly) tolerable levels. The two leads (Joseph Gordon Levitt and Zoey Deschanel who I still can't decide if I find her attractive or not) are actors that I generally like and they maintain a nice easy chemistry for much of the film. I also liked that the film resolves the issue about whether they'll get back together right at the beginning, and rather spends its time using flashbacks to document what went right and wrong in the relationship. It also incorporates some nice whimsical fantasy interludes (like a musical number) that generally work and add to the proceedings. Its not perfect (of course, remember I hate everything). Like a lot of films in this genre its a little too pleased with how clever it thinks it is, and features some characters that only exist in the minds of people who don't actually pay attention to how reality works (like the ten year old sister who gives advice like she's freaking Dr. Phil). However my biggest problem with it has to do with how Los Angeles is portrayed. If you watched this film you'd think that everybody gets around the city by utilizing a mass transit system that not only gets you where you want to go with minimal fuss, but is a fun and exciting way of doing it. This is complete and utter nonsense. Nobody who can possibly help it takes mass transit in LA. The subway is nice in theory but it rarely goes anywhere useful (like say - THE FUCKING AIRPORT!!!!) and if you don't live within walking distance of a stop you have to take a bus which means at least another hour of travel even if you're going a few miles. Nobody in their right mind would engage in this on a regular basis if they could possibly help it, yet this film makes it seem like getting around the greater Los Angeles is as simple as Manhattan (do not be fooled). So yeah, the film's not bad but still succumbs to some annoying cliches.

No comments:

Post a Comment