Tuesday, September 15, 2009

District 9

I had more to say about this when I saw it a week and a half ago, but stuff kept getting in the way and, whatever you don't care. Anyway I found the film to be a clever sc-fi film that kept me entertained, and exhibited a nice, but subtle, sense of humor. I've been a little surprised at how a certain segment of the critical community has turned on the film for reasons that I can best summarize as this: 'The film doesn't stay true to its gritty potential and descends in to the typical chaos of summer blockbusters.'
This is a completely ridiculous sentiment. I mean the film is about aliens landing in South Africa so we shouldn't be shocked at an explosion or six interrupting the proceedings. If anything it manages to balance action and plot in an entertaining manner, and even exhibits a decent level of intelligence (which is pretty impressive considering it involves a pig being used as a weapon) throughout the proceedings. Anyway this a tightly constructed action film, that manages to have a coherent plot and sly sense of humor. So you could say I liked it. (It so tough to write these positive reviews, I need watch something that sucks soon).

No comments:

Post a Comment