Sunday, October 25, 2009

Celebrity

I can conservatively be called a huge Woody Allen fan. I think Crimes & Misdemeanors, Manhattan, and Sweet & Lowdown are three of my favorite films. Even his lessor works (Scoop, Mighty Aphrodite, Hollywood Ending) have enough intriguing elements to keep me involved. The man can flat out write, and just listening to his dialogue is, usually, enough to keep me engaged for hours. Never before have I ever watched one of his films without feeling like I got something out of it - that changed with Celebrity. Really this was a complete and utter misfire in every way. Nothing worked. The satire felt flat and completely devoid of any reality, there were subplots that didn't seem to have any point, and none of the characters engaged me on any level. Really the entire thing felt like a satire of Woody Allen films made by someone who hates him.

Look the man averages a film every other year, so the quality is bound to fluctuate. =In a way I glad he got everything that didn't work into this one film rather than making a string of duds. That said until last night I could confidently say that even bad Woody Allen is better than 90% of all the other stuff that comes out and I'll miss being able to be that pretentious.

No comments:

Post a Comment