Sunday, November 29, 2009

Why I may have to consider this whole Twilight thing

I've mad e it clear in the past that the Twilight story holds no interest for me (and yes I realize that I"m not the target audience) however I recently read something that ensures that I will at least see the fourth film in the series. Since I can't say it any better than Devin over at CHUD, give this a read before coming back to see a few additional thoughts. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Got all that? Good. I have confirmed the accuracy of the above summary with a friend of mine who has read all the books so I'm left to consider two possible scenarios:

1) The author, Stephanie Meyers, had so much F-you money after the success of the first three books that she decided to write the most insane, illogical, ode to pedophilia possible just to show that teenage girls would still lap it up as a tragic gothic romance.
2) She's just insane, and thinks that a twenty something werewolf become obsessed with a baby is what passes for true love.

Either way I'm intrigued, and can't wait to see how a major hollywood studio deals with what is essentially the Roman Polanski story (rimshot). They can't change the details dramatically because all the rabid fans will go absolutely nuts, but they risk alienating all the, who I like to call, thinking people. They're probably just going to have to suck it up and show how the circle of older men loving younger women going into eternity. If I have a daughter I'm never letting her read these books. Won't stop me from watching this movie though (even though I know there's no way it lives up to its absolutely insane promise).

No comments:

Post a Comment