Saturday, July 3, 2010

Toy Story 3

There's not much more to say here that hasn't already been said. Like its predecessors this is an excellent film, and the level of detail that Pixar puts into every aspect of its production is something to behold. I put it a notch below the second one just because it revisits many of the same themes without doing anything new, but rather than being the Godfather 3 its more like The Return of the Jedi. Maybe not quite up to par with its illustrious predecessor, but still very entertaining. The only part that rubbed a bit wrong is at the very end when Andy (on his way to college) stops off at someone's house he hasn't talked to for years and then proceeds to give their small child a lecture about life and plays with her for hours in the yard. I know that's supposed to be sweet but I couldn't feel as if I were the parent I would have been a little creeped out by the 17 year old kid just randomly showing up and spending a lot of alone time with my three year old. On the other hand I'm a bad person, and this is probably only something that would bother someone as heartless as me.

Finally, 3-D adds absolutely nothing (with the exception of $4 to the price of the ticket) to the film. I get why the studios are embracing it, but I do hope that audiences eventually become fatigued and the demand drops off for films that are just converted to the 3D specifically for marketing reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment