Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The Dictator

I had an odd reaction to this film.  I actually laughed quite a bit, but I'd hesitate to call it a good film.  Its all over the place, and really feels more like a series of sketches than a coherent whole.  Its full of the cheerful offensiveness that most of  Sascha Baron Cohen's films have, but a lot of the crassness just comes off as forced rather than funny.  The film is most successful in the more improvised moments where the actors appear to be just be riffing (unsurprising given Baron Cohen's background).   But on the whole its way too broad to be a successful satire. A lot of it falls flat, but it had enough moments that I can't completely write it off.

And I enjoyed this:

"What's wrong with Crocs?"
"They're the universal symbol of a man who's given up hope.  You might as well start wearing sweatpants and eating at Applebees everyday."


No comments:

Post a Comment