Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom

I've said it before, but I'm all in on Wes Anderson.  And Moonrise Kingdom is incredibly Wes Andersony.  So by deductive logic I really enjoyed the film.  I get that his style could come off as incredibly pretentious. But for some reason I feel like he's able to keep the balance on the right side of whimsical, without drowning in style.  Given how all-encompassing the style is that's quite an achievement.

All that said, and Will Leitch made this point in his review, it would be interesting to see what would happen if Anderson tried a completely different kind of film.  Maybe a franchise (the hunger games?), a superhero film, or a teen comedy.  It would just be interesting to see how his sensibility would translate to a genre outside his comfort zone. It may not work at all, but I'd like to see him try.  On the other hand if he just decides to keep pumping out these breezy, mannered, colorful films I'd be fine with that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment