Friday, January 16, 2009

The curious case of benjamin button

Lets just get right into this

The Good:

-The film is shot beautifully, and the makeup work is superb
-the Tilda Swinton storyline is well done

The Bad:
-Benjamin Button is not really that compelling as a lead character. I never really cared what was happening to him, and he spent the whole film with the same expression on his face - sort of like a stoned Forest Gump (which makes some sense since both films had the same writer)
-At the end of the film I was left asking "What's the point?" Yes I know there was something in there about the power of undying love, and how the world is filled with all types, and I couldn't have cared less. Not a good sign.
-The script was fairly heavy handed, overly expository, and desperately needed some humor. I'm not saying that it had to be Late Night in the Apollo, but this thing was so somber and serious and look at how important I am, that by the two hour mark I was considering skipping into Yes man. Even worse the film's one attempt at a running joke (involving an old man getting struck by lightning) became tiresome an heavy handed after the, I don't know, fourth time it was told.

I have nothing else to say, Go see The Wrestler instead.

And because I'm cheap here's this


No comments:

Post a Comment