Saturday, January 10, 2009

Doubt

Incredibly well acted film, that will probably net Oscar nominations for both Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Meryl Streep. The film also does a nice job using their characters' relationship as a metaphor for the changes that were occurring in the catholic church (and society as a whole) during the late sixties. I also appreciated how the resolution to the main conflict (whether or not Hoffman's priest character molested a child) is left ambiguous, and forces to viewer to draw their own conclusions. My only real problem with the film is that I didn't completely buy the last scene, which unfortunately is one of the pivotal points of the narrative. This didn't do enough to keep me from recommending seeing it, but I think it did keep me from feeling the full impact of the film's message.

Since I have nothing else to say there let me just go on a brief jag about how Amy Adams may be the most likeable actress working today. She just has a certain vibe that every time I've seen her in something I've raised my interest level. This isn't like getting interested whenever you see Marissa Miller (not that Adams is unattractive) or Meryl Streep (though I find Adams to be talented, and somewhat underrated), its more of just a feeling of 'oh this could be good' I get when I see she's in something. I even found myself thinking that the film Sunshine Cleaning (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN5hSoC4-cQ) could possibly be worth watching just because she was in it. And after seeing the trailer I think we can probably agree that it won't. And while I'm at it, is there a more overrated film from the past couple of years than Little Miss Sunshine? The answer is of course yes (There Will Be Blood), but I just wanted to make the point that I didn't find Little Miss Sunshine to be that impressive. Okay I really have no point. I'm sick, leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment