Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Wrestler

Darren Aronofsky has made a lovely little character piece set in the world of Professional Wrestling and Small Town Strip Clubs. And whats an independent character driven film without grown men staple gunning each other, lots of barbed wire, andMarisa Tomei playing an aging tatted up stripped? All kidding aside, Tomei and Rourke respectively give excellent performances as the aforementioned stripper (of course with a heart of gold) and professional wrestler with serious physical problems. The film does a nice job capturing the aging process and how it feels to be trapped in a world that's passed you by (tremendous use of a cliche on my part). The only part that didn't work at all for me was the storyline involving Rourke's estranged daughter. Their relationship was underdeveloped in relation to the rest of the film, and as a result the emotional swings between the two of them feel forced and are unearned. I think the entire subplot could have been cut out and the film wouldn't have suffered for it. Otherwise the film deserves all the accolades its gotten, and if you're a fan of subtle character driven pieces, featuring spandex and steroids, check it out.

On a side note this is third film in a row I've seen that featured the trailer for two lovers. Now the trailer looks unbearable, but what I really want to know is in what world do attractive single women find awkward thirty something loners who live at home with their parents irresistible? I can speak from personal experience, I mean a friend's experience, that this is not any reality that you or I know of, and these type of films just exist to make me, I mean my friend, go crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment